Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Wedge LIVE! Mailbag

About a week ago, a person (whose identity I am withholding) sent me a series of emails. I was surprised to see that these emails were CC'd to various neighborhood and City officials, including Robert Thompson of the Neighborhood and Community Relations department (NCR).

I'm withholding the content of this person's emails pending NCR's investigation of my Tweets. In consultation with Yahoo! Answers I've decided my reply to those emails can be published without placing me in legal jeopardy.

Subject: Re: Public Tweet
From: John Edwards
Date: 2/5/2015 7:40 PM
To: ████ 
CC: LHENA President, LHENA Z&P Chair, "Bender, Lisa", "Thompson, Robert", mark.dayton@state.mn.us 
Dear ████ (and esteemed guests), 
I have copied Governor Mark Dayton so he can join the conversation. I hope you don’t mind. 
First of all, thanks for repeatedly emailing me Twitter Is Public as a PDF attachment. After a virus-scan and careful reading of that article, I have decided my Tweets will remain public, though I do appreciate the instructions for how to make them private. 
I have examined the 12-page PDF of my social media history that you helpfully attached to your email. Other than a link to a Facebook discussion on MRRDC, I see no reference to you. Keep in mind that Facebook, like Twitter, is public (for further reading on this topic, see my recent Tweet: Your Wacky Facebook Comments Are Public.pdf). 
You have now sent me four emails in 24 hours regarding this nonsense; that’s too many. You should know that since you’ve begun CC’ing multiple City officials, these emails are subject to public request under the Minnesota Government Data Practices Act. This means it’s possible that someone will publish them to Twitter (which is public by the way) and make you look silly. 
One last thing: I am willfully misinterpreting your reference to parking-related homicides as a threat on my life, and I will now be CC’ing Chief Harteau on all future emails. 
-John Edwards
Minutes later I received a reply informing me that "Your interpretation my email is your right." Chilling. There were no further emails or PDF attachments.