Thursday, October 22, 2015

Not LHENA-Sanctioned

FYI

LHENA had a board meeting last night. As you may know, I am a board member. During the meeting we learned of two grievances. The individuals attached to these grievances were unnamed (a "grievance" is a new process LHENA uses to resolve complaints lodged against the organization or individual members).

One grievance had to do with a pizza-related social media post (I immediately recognized this as one of my tweets). The other grievance was something else that happened on social media--no content was specified (I also recognize this as one of my tweets).
The pizza grievance was dismissed. The second grievance remains a mystery to be resolved later. While I don't know who's behind these grievances, I can guess from whose Facebook posse they might be coming. I think the strategy here is to lodge as many frivolous complaints as possible, establish your crew's reputation as an incredible cast of goofballs, and then really lay the hammer down when I'm least expecting it (save this sentence for a future grievance).

At the very end of the meeting, during the "new business" portion of the agenda (I'm new here, but I gather that's where you need to watch out for an ambush), someone handed me this motion: an accusation that I used an account with the name "Wedgelive/Wedgedead" to fool people into thinking I'm the official LHENA Twitter account and a demand that I remove all traces of the Wedge newspaper from my website and Twitter. At least half the board was visibly and vocally irritated to have this pile of unexpected nonsense dumped in their lap after a two-plus hour meeting, right as they thought they'd be able to go home.

Totally urgent, emergency, last-minute motion.

Exhibit A: "Today's Header." Distributed at last night's meeting.

Someone thought this motion was a reasonable thing to write, and print out, and show to a dozen other people. Someone seconded this motion, and a handful of people would've voted for it, but it was tabled and sent over to the LHENA grievance committee--where I've racked up three tweet-grievances in my young career. And this item will probably linger well into 2016. These people are not right. Here's what one board member said shortly after the meeting, in a private message:


To briefly summarize the history: LHENA published and delivered the newspaper to every home in the neighborhood for free beginning in 1970. I was one of two people involved in a project to digitize the Wedge newspaper late last year. I made the archive freely available here. I did not contact LHENA to ask for permission. I used the archive as the source for a series of posts about Wedge history, like this LHENA episode from 1993, which I recommend. It's relevant reading.

In April, I ran for the LHENA Board of Directors and delivered a speech at the annual meeting almost entirely premised on the fact that I had digitized the paper: "I gave you an archive of the Wedge paper, vote for me." I won.

At the May meeting, my blog was made a surprise topic (not listed on the agenda; strange that this keeps happening). I was accused of mistreating a "single mom" (more on that here), and concerns were raised about newspaper copyright. In July, the board settled concerns over the copyright issue by deciding to neither give permission nor demand I remove the archive.

And now we're talking about it again in October, ostensibly because I changed my Twitter header image to something I found amusing and visually interesting. The Wedge newspaper is one of the most historic/wonderful/hilarious things about this neighborhood. It's an ongoing source of surprise to me that devoted defenders of the newspaper's legacy aren't glad to have it accessible from their phone.