Saturday, November 4, 2017

Ward 11 Endorsement: Erica Mauter

Conventional wisdom says incumbent John Quincy is a goner in Ward 11. The Star Tribune would not have endorsed against him if they thought he had a chance of surviving this election. Which means Ward 11 will likely have a new city council member come 2018.

I've been observing Quincy's challengers all year long, and I believe both would immediately become excellent council members, and clear upgrades over the incumbent.

What separates Erica Mauter from most other candidates is her willingness to say true things that are hard for people to hear. That's a big reason why Ward 11 voters should make Mauter their number one choice on November 7.

Mauter has been the most bluntly honest about the need for reforms that chip away at the exclusionary zoning practices that keep small and midscale multi-family housing out of single-family neighborhoods (her support for triplexes and easing parking minimums earned her the rebuke of the Star Tribune editorial board). You also see this political courage when Mauter very directly makes the case for equity to the largely white residents of Ward 11.

One thing that all the council candidates I'm endorsing this year have in common: they are courageous and impressively wonky. Erica Mauter checks both boxes. I've seen it myself and I hear it from others. People I respect who work side by side with Mauter on policy issues tell me she knows her stuff and works hard, standing out from her colleagues. She has lived up to this praise when I've seen her in person at candidate forums.

Jeremy Schroeder is the other challenger in Ward 11. You should rank Schroeder second on your ballot. He is an excellent candidate and has run an impressive campaign.