Thursday, November 2, 2017

Ward 7 Endorsement: Janne Flisrand

This one goes without saying. I've been a Janne supporter from the beginning. But it's important to make it clear one last time before election day: Ward 7 would be very lucky to have Janne Flisrand working for them.

You should go read Janne's website for her policy positions. I won't bother telling you how I'm on board for all of it. I'd rather focus on Janne's personal qualities and her tremendous capacity to make those positions a reality: whether it's on affordable housing; police reform; protecting the environment; and creating a transportation system that works for people, not just cars.

I know Janne pretty well. She's someone I rely on to help me understand the way our city works, and all the ways it could work better. I've watched her campaign up close for the last year. I believed in Janne last November when she started; after watching her campaign for all this time, I am in awe of what she's built and the people she surrounds herself with. She works freakishly hard every day; she lifts people up, supporting and inspiring them to do big things; and there's no issue she can't figure out or help you understand better.

Janne has no special affinity for politics for the sake of politics. She doesn't want to be council member, she wants very much to do the job of council member.

As I say, Janne works incredibly hard. She pays attention to details. She's prepared for everything. She has a stubborn, persistent refusal to leave anything to chance. This has a downside: the Janne campaign team is exhausted right now (though exhilarated). The upside: Janne is ready to get some stuff done as a council member. And she's proven herself uniquely qualified to build the coalitions that make progress happen. Ward 7 shouldn't pass up the chance to vote Janne as their first choice for city council.